Hello to everyone who has been following this blog for many years - I'm still blogging, I'm just moving over to https://www.claireheffer.com/blog - please continue to follow and let me take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been kind enough to visit over the years. May the lists continue...

Thursday 4 December 2014



BOOK 119: THE MAGUS – JOHN FOWLES

The Magus (1965) is a postmodern novel by British author John Fowles, telling the story of Nicholas Urfe, a young British graduate who is teaching English on a small Greek island. Urfe becomes embroiled in the psychological illusions of a master trickster, which become increasingly dark and serious. Considered a metafiction, it was the first novel written by Fowles, but the third he published. In 1977 he published a revised edition.
In 1999 The Magus was ranked on both lists of Modern Library 100 Best Novels, reaching number 93 on the editors' list, and 71 on the readers' list. In 2003, the novel was listed at number 67 on the BBC's survey The Big Read.


MY VERDICT: I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was long but never boring.  It kept you asking questions and gave so much information and so many little stories but none of which you could believe.  I spent the whole book waiting find out exactly what it all meant but in fact never quite got there.  This would ordinarily annoy or frustrate me but I came to terms with it in the end, that some things are unknowable and I came to feel exactly as I thought the character Nicholas Urfe must have felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment