Hello to everyone who has been following this blog for many years - I'm still blogging, I'm just moving over to https://www.claireheffer.com/blog - please continue to follow and let me take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been kind enough to visit over the years. May the lists continue...

Wednesday 1 April 2015



BOOK 130: NO ONE BELONGS HERE MORE THAN YOU: MIRANDA JULY

July's collection of short vignettes was published by Scribner in 2007. In her review for the New York Times, reviewer Sheelah Kolhatkar gave the collection a mixed review writing, "A handful of these stories are sweet and revealing, although in many cases the attempt to create “art” is too self-conscious, and the effort comes off as pointlessly strange." The collection was highly regarded by other writers and critics including George Saunders, Dave Eggers and Amy Hempel. As of 2015 the collection has more than 200,000 copies in circulation.


MY VERDICT: First of all I’m going to say, I’m not a fan of short stories. I like to feel connections to the people in stories I read, in a short story you just don’t get the time.  These stories were, like with some of July’s other works very hit and miss.  I loved watching Me and You and Everyone We Know but felt that The Future was sub par.  She makes me feel uncomfortable, I think a lot of what she says is quirky for the sake of being quirky and it’s not as real as I think it should be.   I know I’m not making a lot of sense, I think I was disappointed and expecting more?

No comments:

Post a Comment