Hello to everyone who has been following this blog for many years - I'm still blogging, I'm just moving over to https://www.claireheffer.com/blog - please continue to follow and let me take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been kind enough to visit over the years. May the lists continue...

Thursday 4 October 2018

PODCAST: THE GATEWAY



PODCAST: THE GATEWAY

Teal Swan is an internet spiritual guru who produces hypnotic self-help YouTube videos aimed at people who are struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts. Many of her videos share unorthodox messages about mental health with her hundreds of thousands of fans who follow her on Facebook and Instagram, and in person.

This podcast investigates Teal and asks the question as to whether her methods are dangerous and could cause serious harm, or helpful services for those who need them.

MY VERDICT: This isn’t the kind of thing I would normally listen to, and I happened upon it purely by chance – I mostly listen to true crime podcasts and this was a little different, although there is an investigative element to it.

I’m not going to give anything away so I’ll talk very little of the details uncovered, other to say that you find out fascinating things and it twists and turns in directions you just wouldn’t expect.

I find Teal Swan to be equal parts annoying and remarkable, her tone of voice is sometimes obnoxious and she has an answer for everything (but she should because she’s selling herself as a guru), but you have to admire her for the following she has created, if only from a business and marketing point of view.

There are, despite the investigation, no clear answers and no satisfying ending to this podcast but it poses some very interesting questions, especially as to what some of the most vulnerable people on this planet need. I recommend this podcast, it’s enthralling and opens up a debate on gurus, memories, spiritualism, YouTube and suicide.



No comments:

Post a Comment